Maiden Vermont -- Central Vermont's Women's Barbershop Chorus
Glee's Company Concert: A Singing Salute to the TV Show Glee -- Saturday, May 18th
2:00 and 7:30 pm at the South Burlington High School, 550 Dorset Street, South Burlington, VT
With the Green Mountain Chorus and the Flynn Show Choir Select
Tickets on sale at the door
Who We Are
If you love to sing, can sing on pitch, and can hold a part, join us! We don't limit ourselves to standard barbershop -- you'll be singing doo-wop, swing, Broadway show tunes, spirituals, the Blues and other great tight-harmony pieces. Maiden Vermont began in January 2004, with about 20 women's voices. We're up to about 50 voices, but we'd love even more!
Our chorus, or small groups from our chorus, sing regularly at fundraisers for non-profit organizations, summer, fall and holiday festivals, reunions, naturalization ceremonies, and private functions.
If you would like a particular song sung for your special occasion, and you don't see it on our repertoire, just ask us about it! If the music is available to us, with enough advance notice, it may be possible for a quartet to learn it for your event.
You can hire Maiden Vermont for parties or events; just e-mail the director, Lindi Bortney, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 388-1012 for further information.
Our Boston Adventure!
Maiden Vermont was chosen to sing the Canadian and United States National Anthems for the 8/21/2010 game at Fenway, Red Sox vs Toronto Blue Jays.
In the News!
- Video of Maiden Vermont singing at the Middlebury bridge opening on October 30, 2010 by Jerry Shedd.
We can create the perfect performance for your special needs. Our performances can be as short as 15-20 minutes, or as long as 1.5 hours (including intermission). Our repertoire is varied (including holiday and valentine music), and everything we sing is memorized--and may include choreography!
We've listed songs from our past and current repertoire, to give you an idea of the variety of music we perform:
Here is a sample song from our fall 2012 concert:
Letters of Recommendation
Lindi Bortney, Music Director
Lindi taught music and directed school choruses on Long Island for over 30 years, and we are lucky that she and her husband, Jerry Shedd, chose to retire in Addison County. Lindi has coached choruses throughout New York state, Idaho and Vermont and teaches music educators about barbershop singing. Lindi has been the music director for "Funny Girl" in Middlebury, Vt (November 2011),"Music Man" in Middlebury, VT (November 2009), "Smokey Joe's Cafe" in Middlebury, VT (October 2008), for "Swingtime Canteen" in Bristol, VT (October 2007), "Forever Plaid" in Middlebury, Vergennes, Randolph and Burlington, VT (July 2006), "Little Shop of Horrors" in Middlebury, VT (June 2005) and "Of Thee I Sing" in Rochester, VT (April-May 2004).
We rehearse every Thursday from 7 to 9:15 p.m. at the Bingham School in Cornwall, VT, on Route 30. (From Middlebury, drive south on Route 30 until you get to School Road on your left. The school is at the end. If you reach the intersection with Route 74, you've missed School Road.) Call Lindi Bortney at 388-1012 to let her know that you are coming.
How to Join
Here's how to apply to join the group. This sounds very formal, but it's really not. We're fun and friendly, so don't get scared off. We just need to ensure that all our members can sing on pitch and can hold their own part when surrounded by women singing other parts. You can do it!
- A singer can come to a rehearsal and listen for as long as she wants. She can borrow a folder of music for the evening so she can follow along with what we are rehearsing, but she gives the folder back at the end of the rehearsal.
- At the point that she wants to apply for membership, usually after attending two or three rehearsals as a guest, she gets to take home the music to two songs, "I Don't Know Why I Love You Like I Do" and "Star Spangled Banner" to learn them for her audition. She also gets a CD of these two songs to help her learn them. There is a $10 fee at this time. Recordings are also online.
- After about three weeks, the applicant asks Lindi for an audition, and Lindi arranges for the Section Leader quartet to sing with her, singing these two songs from memory. (We usually do this at the end of a rehearsal.)
- If she passes the audition, she receives a folder which contains the chorus repertoire and DVDs of two recent performances. If she doesn't pass, or if she decides not to try to audition, she returns the audition sheet music and CD, her $10 audition fee is returned to her, and we wish her well.
Maiden Vermont, c/o Lindi Bortney, P.O. Box 178, Ripton, VT 05766. Contact email@example.com or 802-388-1012 for information